Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Week 12 - Thin Mint Truffles!! :)

This was one of the easiest and yummiest party treats I have ever made!  I was having a Scentsy party on St. Patrick's day, so I wanted to coordinate all my food to have a green theme, so I made cream cheese with green pepper jelly, cucumber sandwiches, green sprinkle dipped marshmallows, and thin mint truffles.  This pin on pinterest led me to the blog Cookin' Cowgirl

The directions are pretty easy, and I was also able to try out my new Cuisinart!  I put the entire box of Thin Mints into the bowl and ran the blade until they were crumbs.  I then switched the blade to the dough blade (leaving the crumbs in) added the cream cheese and ran it again.  I had to stop and start it to push the crumbs back to the middle with the spatula as it would gather up on the sides to where the blade couldn't reach it, but after a few times it all came together into one well blended glob of cream cheese-thin mint yumminess. 


I took out the lump of thin mint and put in on a plate and began breaking off small sections and rolling them into balls and put them on a parchment covered cookie sheet to go into the freezer.

I let them go a little longer than the 30 minutes b/c I was prepping other things.  I pulled them out and melted some white chocolate into a microwave safe bowl then put green food coloring in for the color.  I didn't get a chance to go to World Market for the mint chips and they did not have them at Walmart, Target, or Kroger (bummer!).  I had to figure out the perfect way to coat them.  When I tried with just my hands, I always had on spot that did cover.  I figured out a method using a fork and a spoon (turning it in the chocolate with both then using the spoon to scoop it out and the fork to steady it). 


I then put them back into the fridge until party time since they cannot be left out due to containing cream cheese.

They were quite a hit at the party, and there was not one left over!

I would definitely make these again!  I don't even have to wait until next girl scout season b/c the author of the blog said you can also make them with Keebler's grasshopper cookies.  :)  I would try to do the mint chips next time b/c I would bet that adds even more flavor.  The white chocolate was still pretty good though!  I would also take a tip that I read on  making cake balls the other night, taking only a few truffles out of the freezer at a time to dip, so you can keep the rest cold and easy to dip as well.

These would be perfect for any spring party, Easter celebration, or just because! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment