Monday, April 9, 2012

Week 13 - Triumphs

Well this week I tried a couple different things from pinterest.  Some things turned out great, and others I will not try again.  Live and learn!  This post with contain the success stories, and I will put the learning experiences in the next post. This will be a longer post, so hopefully you don't get bored!  :)

Starting off with one of the successes!  I was invited to a shower last weekend that was put together by my church's associate pastor and his wife for a pregnant woman in their apartment complex whose husband is serving overseas and family lives out of state.  When they heard that she was about to deliver and had not yet had a shower, they threw together a fantastic shower for her and invited everyone in our church to come by to congratulate the mom to be and "shower" her with gifts. :)  I thought this was the perfect opportunity to try out the diaper trike that I had seen on pinterest!  The pin lead me to the link, Maiden D'Shade.  It gave very easy instructions to follow.  The whole thing took about maybe 30 minutes start to finish.  Very easy! 

I started with the wheels.  I didn't have rubber bands as the original blog called for, but I had some stretchy ribbon that I used instead and just pinned it.



I then connected the wheels with the first rolled receiving blanket.  Instead of using yarn to connect the blanket, I just pinned it together.  I looped the second rolled receiving blanket through the front wheel and tied it together with some coordinating tulle.  I stuck a pacifier in to serve as the head light. :)

 To finish off the trike, I folded up the last receiving blanket into a small rectangle and pinned it to the top of the "tires" to serve as the seat. 

SUPER EASY!!  I would definitely do this again!  I would try and get the rubber bands for the tires next time to hold them a little tighter and just go over them with ribbon.  That is really the only change I would make.  Totally recommend this for a quick and cute shower gift. :)

Next success:

Chalkboard paint!  This was awesome and will be a regular part of our summer entertainment.  I am guilty of not going to the blog on this one b/c the pin had the directions listed, but I wanted to list the blog anyways to give credit where credit is due.  Plus, I like to go back and visit the blogs later as they usually have lots of other great ideas!  Domestic Charm served as the inspiration for this pin!

You simply mix 1 cup of cornstarch with 1 cup of water.  I did this in a Pyrex measuring cup.  I then poured it into a large 6 opening muffin tin.  One mixture of the solution filled 3 openings in the tin, so I made two batches.  Once in the muffin tin, I added the food coloring.  We took it outside, and the kids went to town.  They loved how it went on wet, but dried to look like chalk only seconds later, especially my science-nut son!  They stayed busy for about 45 minutes painting the driveway.  I even joined in on the fun! 





I had been worried about it possibly staining their clothes, but instead of absorbing into their fabric it seemed to bead up instead (not sure if b/c of the corn starch).  It also did not stain their skin either!  Great paint!!  It washed off the driveway easily with the hose a couple days later when I was watering the plants. 

No comments:

Post a Comment