Friday, April 20, 2012

New post - This one's an original by me! Crockpot Chicken soft tacos

I figured I would share one of my originals since I have found some many great things by "copying" others on pinterest! :)  This meal is a family favorite in our house.  I came upon it just trying out new ideas for getting more veggies in my family's diet.  I use a core list of basic ingredients each time but change up some of the extras each time, including the color of bell peppers that I use each time.  I love this crockpot meal because prep is fast and easy, and I love coming home in the afternoon to the smell of a yummy already cooked meal!  This feeds our family of four, each of us having about 2-3 tacos, and I usually have meat and sauce left over to have chicken nachos the next day. 

Prep time takes about 15 minutes.

Ingredients:
~1 lb chicken breast
3 bell peppers ( I usually use a mix of colors)
2 vine ripened tomatoes
small amount of water or chicken broth
avocados
soft tortillas (I like the fresh tortillas from our local Kroger)
sour cream
shredded cheese (the queso cheese mix is really good with this)
lime wedges
Add ins:
onion
minced garlic
fresh cilantro
~ 1tsp cumin

I first chop the peppers, tomatoes, and any other fresh ingredients that I may be using(onion, garlic, cilantro, etc.) and put them into a blender with a little bit of water/chicken broth.  I add more liquid if the veggies don't blend down well.  I blend until it reaches a thick sauce consistency.  I pour half the mixture into the crock pot then put the chicken in and pour the remaining half on top.



Here comes the best part.  I put the lid on, set the heat (low for ~8 hours and high ~6), and WALK AWAY!  Love it!  I did come back at about 5 hours to break up the chicken with some tongs to let the juice sink into more of the meat.  It should fall apart when you poke at it.  I also added a little more water to mix to keep the sauce from getting too thick.



Once done, just load up your tortilla with some meat and scoop some of the sauce on top (for your veggies serving!), then top with avocado, cheese, sour cream, etc.  One of the best additions that has become a staple for us is squeezing a lime wedge over the taco one done.  Yum!!




I am not a great photographer, and the pictures really don't do it much justice, but it is really good!!  Hope you all enjoy this one as much as we do!

No comments:

Post a Comment