Monday, October 1, 2012

Project 29: Travel toy storage

I found this just in time for our trip down to Frederickburg to see family this summer.  It's about a 5 and a half hour drive, so having things for the kids to do is a must, along with snacks.  The kids are both in boosters now, so they have a little more freedom to move around and get things on their own.  I decided to make some fun hanging fabric pockets for the kids to be able to store their toys and snacks in without having to grab it from a bag on the floor (not good for kiddos who are prone to car sickness) or me having to turn around and hand them stuff from the front (also not good for a mama who can also be prone to car sickness).  I found these super cute fabric car organizers on blog, Just Sew Sassy.

Pinned Image
 
(image from pin on pinterest)
 
I had just enough fabric left over from my son's pillow mattress to make him one, and enough in my fabric stash for a girly one for my daughter too. :)  Gotta love projects that you have to buy nothing for!!
 
I followed the directions pretty much as written, but instead of using fusing or interface, I just stuffed a piece of cardboard that I cut from some extra boxes in the garage to give the back some strength  (hindsight, probably wouldn't do it again b/c now I can't wash them). 
 
This project was one of my more challenging ones as I have said before, I am definitely not a seamstress, and I have never had any kind of formal (or informal) training on how to sew with a sewing machine.  It took a little more time, and I had to really pay attention to be sure i wasn't sewing any of my pockets closed! :)  Here are some pics from my assembly process:
 
Got all my squares cut out!
 
 
Ironing the small square in half then ironing a seam.
 
Sewed in the seams then pinned the pockets together.
 


 
Sewed all the pockets together and added the ribbon strap and edge to the top.
 
 
 
 
 
 
All finished!  The kids loved using them, and I love that when the trip is done I can hang them on the back of the playroom closet, so it's easy storage. 


No comments:

Post a Comment