Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Week 10 - Easter Egg Tree

This project was another learning experience for me, but in the end it turned out really cute!  I chose to try out the Easter Egg tree that I saw on pinterest that linked me to the blog, Sweet Floweret.  This seemed easy enough, so I went to Walmart to get the floral foam cone, eggs, and Easter grass.  I decided I would try to use some craft glue that I had at home since I did not have a hot glue gun.  I thought it would be fine, so I started to glue small spots onto the eggs then attach it to the cone.

The glue was not drying quickly, and the eggs were sliding around a little bit, so I had to prop them as I kept gluing.  I made it around the first layer and... they all fell.

I thought about some sticky dots that I had tat have worked well with other crafts including fabric.  I tried sticking some on the same spot as I had applied the glue. 
It did not work with just the dot, so I put some glue around it.  I got the rest of the way around the tree and decided to wait until the morning to put the grass in, so the glue would have a chance to completely dry.
I went off to watch a show with my husband, and half-way through I heard a plastic "clink" on the table.  I told my husband I didn't even want to look since I knew what was happening.  We started to laugh after a couple more "clinks."  I still didn't check.  I thought I would just fix whatever fell in the morning.  This is what I walked into the next morning.
That was a lot of fixing.  Instead of repeating the same mistake, I decided to go a buy a glue gun.  I have learned to use the proper materials and not try and substitute other things.  I also learned that craft glue will not glue plastic to foam. :)
After purchasing a glue gun I tried again.  It's amazing how much easier and faster it is when you have the right materials!  
Woo-hoo!  No plastic "clinks" after the fact too.  After making sure the eggs were secure, I stuck the grass in between.  I would pull the grass apart (it was clumped up in the bag) then I would bunch it and stick it in between the eggs.  I would try and stretch it out so that it would be secure.  It was pretty easy to do.

Ta-dah!  The finished product!!
Overall this was a pretty easy project, especially once I got the glue gun!  It took about 45 min start to finish. 

No comments:

Post a Comment