Thursday, March 1, 2012

Week 8 - Ruffled Tier Skirt

Sorry about the delay!  I am a couple weeks behind on posting, but I am still crafting! :)  On week 8, i decided to try my hand at making my daughter a ruffled skirt.  Now I have only made one other sewing project from a pattern and that was a pillowcase dress, which is pretty hard to mess up.  The measurements on this one had to be a little more exact and I had to create a waistband.  I took it on excited about learning how to ruffle as well!  I know that I can buy a ruffling foot for my machine, but that costs some $$, and if I can do it with what I have, that will work! 



I took the pattern from this pin on pinterest which led me to the blog, Craftiness is not Optional (http://www.craftinessisnotoptional.com/2012/02/l-o-v-e-tee-and-easy-tiered-skirt.html).

Cute blog with pretty easy to follow instructions.  I cut my fabric to the to my calculations per the directions on the blog.


Now looking back at just these measurements, I can see why this skirt wasn't as cute as I thought it would be.  I didn't get enough length on my middle fabric.  A couple more inches on the cupcake fabric would have led to a probable success on this one.  Oh well! :)

Not realizing my mistake, I went ahead sewing the skirt.  I did a zig-zag around the top and bottom edges since I do not have a serger.  I ironed up a hem on the bottom layer of the skirt and zig-zag stitched to secure it.  After this I sewed a long single stitch on a tension of 5 across the top of the bottom and middle layer. This will create your ruffle! :)  I was able to pull one side of the thread to ruffle the fabric.  It took a little time to figure out just how to get the fabric to bunch, and it's hard to explain, but one I got it, I was able to ruffle it pretty quickly.  She probably does a better job of explaining this process on her website. 




I then tied my strings to the string on the other layer of fabric to complete the full circle of that layer and zig-zag stitched them together wrong sides out.  I did this to both the bottom and middle layers.  I then took the middle layer and turned it inside out and put the top of the bottom layer inside of that to pin together to sew together wrong side out.


I ran this through on a zig-zag stitch to connect together.

Looks cute so far right?  Well attaching the top layer is where I went, "huh?"  I prepped the top layer by ironing the top over to create a space for the waistband to go into.  I threaded the elastic through using a paper clip that pierced the elastic and a pin to grab it and pull through.  I really should get some safety pins!  That would have made that process a little easier.  Oh well! I got it through and sewed it together.  I then attached the top layer to the middle using the same method as before.  It was at that moment that I though, "This doesn't look right."

Where it was supposed to tier out it was almost gathered tight.  I had my daughter try it on, and she was excited at first, but then decided that she didn't like "lumpy" skirts.  I had to laugh b/c she pretty much hit it on the head. :)  The tightness of the skirt on the middle created a bubble on the top part. LOL! 
I am going to try this again with some changes.  I will DOUBLE check my math this time.  I am thinking it was user error and not the fault of the pattern as I look back.  I would also tighten the waistband about an inch tighter.  It said to add an inch to your child's waist size, but for my daughter the waist was a little big, so I think I will keep it exact next time.  I will post an update with a hopefully better looking skirt! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment