Monday, May 14, 2012

Week 19 - My war against the fruit flies

 My house unfortunately has been invaded with fruit flies over the past couple weeks.  With the warm winter, I think we are seeing more insects this year, and fruit flies are definitely one.  I happened upon a fruit fly trap on Pinterest, and I thought what the heck?  I don't know any other way to get rid of them, so I gave it a try.  The first, notice I said first, trap I found threw me for a loop b/c when I clicked on it, I fell victim to one of the new traps people are setting on Pinterest, and it took me to some bogus website that I am sure put cookies, worms, or some sort of other weird name for computer uh-oh on my computer.  After searching, I was finally about to find the pin that lead me to the correct website.
The pin featured this picture:


The directions are listed on the site, Passionate Homemaking.  I went to work making my trap.  I had to use a plastic cup, since I didn't have a mason jar handy.  For the record, I never have a mason jar handy.  I made the cone of paper and let it sit.  I got so excited to see the little fruit flies going into the cup.  I felt so smart and victorious.  Then I came back later to see more little fruit flies in the cup.  Yay!  I was feeling so good about my win over the fruit flies that I decided to brag to my husband about it when he came home.  But as the night went on, we started to notice that there were less fruit flies.  Even though the blog said they wouldn't be able to figure out how to get back up, somehow mine were.  I don't know if we happen to have some sort of Houdini fruit flies that can get out of any trap or what, but it became very apparent that my trap was not working.  It could draw them in, but not keep them.  I think I actually heard their tiny laughter as I gave up and threw the trap out. 

A few days later I found another fruit fly trap.  These one seemed so very basic and not at all trap-like, but I went ahead and tried it determined to be the laughing stock of the fruit flies in my own house!  I wish I could find this pin again, but I don't seem to have repinned it!  I can tell you what I did though.  It recommended taking a small container (I used another plastic cup) and filling it half-full with apple cider vinegar and added a few drops of Dawn dish soap.  I set this on the counter, not really expecting results.  By that night, I had at least 10 fruit flies floating in it!  I think I have actually found the fruit fly kryptonite!!  The next morning I had even more!  Ladies and gentlemen do not ever discount simplicity. :)  Here is a picture of my fruit fly graveyard.


Notice all the little dark specks at the bottom, those would be dead fruit flies.  I have never been so proud of anything so gross!  It even caught a real fly too!

So I feel like I got the last laugh...for now.  I lost the first battle, but I won the war. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment