Monday, February 13, 2012

Week 5 - Part 2 Homemade Sugar Scrub

I am becoming a fan of DIY gifts.  Not only are they more cost effective, it also gives the kids a chance to help make gifts for their teachers.  We decided to make homemade sugar scrub for their teacher's for Valentine's Day.  I found this idea on pinterest which linked me to the blog, Under the Table and Dreaming (http://www.bystephanielynn.com/2010/05/lemon-sugar-hand-scrub-for-mom.html). 

We got out our ingredients and got ready.

I got my jars from our local Sprouts.  I liked the smooth sides for this gift, instead of the ones with imprints on the jar.  It was relatively cheap, about $1.  We combined the olive oil, sugar, and lemon juice as directed into a big mixing bowl (2 and 1/2 cups sugar, 1 cup olive oil, and 4 tablespoons lemon juice).  I let the kids help measure, pour, and stir.  We were able to fill two small jars (one for each teacher) instead of just doing one 12 oz. jar. 


I used a ladle to pour the scrub into the jars for less mess.  I made another batch for me and my mom to test out before I gave these out to make sure it wasn't a flop! :)  I did end up pouring some of the olive oil that settled at the top of the teacher's jars, as my mom and I discovered that there was almost too much in our batch.  I also tried to add in more lemon juice for scent, but the olive oil scent seems to drown it out.  I didn't mind though, as it left a neutral scent allowing me to use whatever lotion I wanted afterwards without a scent clash.  If I were to do a scented one again, I would add less olive oil and more juice or just use essential oils instead.

I out some ribbon on to attach a spoon and added a label to spiff it up.  We included the directions on the back just in case. :)



All in all, I think it made a cute gift that the teachers will enjoy.  It does work well to moisturize the hands, and my skin felt so soft!  I would just tweak a few things for next time.  Feel free to add comments if you have tried something similar that worked!

No comments:

Post a Comment