Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Project 26 - I really wanted to like this one. :(

I had some early mornings this summer with camps and other activities, so I have tried to find some healthy breakfast choices that are easy to make.  I saw this pin for the overnight slow cooker oatmeal, and I thought I would give it a try.  The recipe can be found at the blog, The Yummy Life.

I love oatmeal.  In the winter, I will make the rolled oats with some butter, brown sugar and walnuts.  One of my favorite things to enjoy with a cup of coffee when it's chilly outside. :)  I thought this recipe would be perfect!  I had a garage sale to get up early for the next morning, so I got everything set up and ready to go. 

I woke up in the morning to a wonderful aroma of cinnamon and apples.  Smelled sooo good!  My mouth was almost watering as I scooped out some of the oatmeal into my bowl.



Looks good, huh?  I guess I should preface this with the fact that I have never had steel cut oats before.  Not that I am a texture aversive type of person.  I love the chewy texture of the regular rolled oats, so I am not sure if that was what did me in.  Anyways, I took a bite of my oatmeal, and for some reason, my body just rejected it.  Something about the taste and the texture at the same time caused a gag reflex that caused me to spit it out immediately!  I thought I would try again thinking that maybe since I was prepared for the flavor, and maybe I just didn't get a sweeter part of the oatmeal it didn't mesh the flavors right.  I stirred it up, took another bite, and same reaction.  I thought better to not try again if I wanted to be able to eat anything else that morning. 

Bummer!!!  Like I said, I really wanted to like this one.  It looked good, it smelled good, and it was super healthy!  Not meant to be I guess.  Guess it's back to my rolled oats.

No comments:

Post a Comment